16 Mar 2013

Last minute St Patricks Day gift for the boys from a Leprechaun!

This is a great last minute St Patricks Day gift that is quick and easy to make.


My boys are now 7 and 5 and I thought this year it would be nice for them to celebrate a bit of their heritage with St Patricks Day. They are also old enough to start to understand where they come from and the concept of generations past. So I thought why not surprise them this year with a gift from a Leprechaun to get into the St Pats spirit!



I plan on leaving this Pot of Gold on the front steps St Patricks Day morning.

It's super easy. I just cut a length of Burlap long enough to go around a mason jar. I use foam stamps from the dollar store and green acrylic paint to stamp 'Pot of Gold' on the burlap. Once dry I used a hot glue gun to stick the ends of the burlap together at the back of the jar.


Then I filled the jar with gold coin chocolates.

For the top I made a Leprechaun Hat from black felt. I cut a circle the same size as the lid of the mason jar. Then I cut a rectangle of felt 10cm x 4cm and rolled it into a tube and hot glued it together. I then glued this tube to a square of felt just larger than the tube and then the other end of the tube onto the large circle. Once dry I trimmed the square to the circumference of the tube.





















Then I choose a small gold button I had (appropriately with a clover leaf - unfortunately not four leaf though!) and glued it onto the felt hat. I then glued the hat onto the top of the mason jar.


I think the boys will be thrilled with their gift from the Leprechaun on Sunday! It's not too late to make one of these for your kids or neighbours.

No comments:

Post a Comment