1 Jul 2012

Burlap Doorstop Pattern and Instructions - a gift for someone with everything

A great idea for a fast, easy and cost effective gift is a Burlap Door Stop. Last week was my Mothers Birthday, and the problem I have every year is what do you buy for someone who has everything? So usually I end up making some unique creation which I know she can't buy anywhere else. So this year I decided to give her a Burlap Door Stop perfect to use for the doors opening to her newly rennovated outdoor room.
The Finished Door Stop

Here's how I made it.

Materials:

Burlap
Contrasting Fabric (I used an upolstery remant, but cotton or polyester would also work well)
Ribbon for tag
Ziplock Bag
Sand
General Sewing Supplies

First I created my pattern by drawing a 15cm by 15cm square for the base. I cut two of these out of Burlap as I wanted the base to have extra reinforcement so it is two layers. Then I drew a horizontal line 15cm long. Then at the midpoint (7.5cm) I drew a vertical line 15cm long. And then joined the top midpoint to the two edges of the horizontal line to form a triangle. This sounds more complicated than it is - see photo for example.


I then cut two triangles out of Burlap and two out of Cotton.
Final Cut pieces
To assemble I first pinned each of the triangles to one edge of the (double layer) Burlap square, and stitched in place.
Stitching each of the triangles around the four sides of the square
Then opening out the triangles, I then joined the long edges of the triangles together. To do this fold the square in half to form a triangle shape, and align two edges of the triangles. Stitch in place. Do this for three sides leaving the fourth side open.
Lining up the triangle edges ready for stitching
I also inserted a tag to make it easier to pick up the Door Stop. To this I folded 10cm of ribbon in half and inserted in between the two edges of one side of the triangles, so the ribbon fold was inside the triangle, before I stitched in place.
Inserting the tag - I have folded back the hessian layer on top to show how the tag is inserted between the two layers
Then I turned the door stop right way out and inserted a zip lock bag full of sand.
With bag of sand inserted now align edges and slip stitch closed
I then folded in the side seams and slip stitched in place with a needle and thread.


I then gift wrapped it ready for Mum for her Birthday. An easy and original gift that I know she won't already have.

If you would like to watch a video to guide you with the step by step instructions on how to make your own Burlap Bag Door Stop then follow this link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T82GwoPYysc&feature=plcp

2 comments:

  1. Stopping by from the Small Blog Meet. What an original project! I haven't given burlap much thought, but as I love textiles in general... this is very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coming over from Lily's Quilts - Wow, I had never thought burlap could have so many uses! I love the rustic meets sophisticated look!

    ReplyDelete